Sunday, June 22, 2014

Half Marathon

I'm not going to lie, this was likely one of the hardest things I have chosen to do. There was more than one occasion leading up to it that I was tempted to just throw in the towel, BUT I was doing this for a cause.

Cancer.

I hate cancer. We had 3 family members battle cancer last year. Two of the three are now in remission. The third was given 6 months to live in January. I love him deeply and know it will be a very sad day when that day comes. All money from the registration went to benefit cancer patients in Utah County. They were able to raise $240K. We also had a friend pass away from brain cancer a few weeks ago.

All along the run there were motivational quotes from cancer patients. While preparing for this run I did 95% of my runs pushing S in a stroller. It was hard, and I fought respiratory problems along the way (thus wanting to throw in the towel). There was one quote that said something like, "Mom, you are stong...but you already knew that." When I read that one I nearly started crying while running and instantly missed my running buddy. She would always say "go" to me as we ran together.

I got an incredible pain in my hip around mile 8. It hurt just to move it. I wanted to quit so badly. Then I thought of my poor grandfather who has been an active person all his life. After undergoing chemo last year he experienced neuropathy. He can no longer walk without a walker, and has to have special aids on his utensils to be able to hold them to feed himself. I thought if he could learn how to walk again I could keep going for him. He was the one thought and person that kept me going.

Around mile 9 my feet really hurt. I wanted to give in. I wanted to just sit down and cry. I kept going. I didn't have an amazing time or anything, but I had an amazing experience doing this for myself. It took me around 3:13 to complete it...walking at least the last three miles. I found when I got home why my feet hurt. I had major blisters on two toes that had rubbed each other the whole time.

My mom asked if this meant I was ready to do a 10K in Brigham City this fall. My first response was "I am never running again." It was hard. I was exhausted and could barely move (thankfully today is getting better). I have contemplated running again today. Not until the blisters heal, but it may happen. I guess time will tell.

Huge thanks to Brett for supporting me. He surprised me by meeting me along the way with S. I sure love that kid! I have  few photos to prove it happened.


The first time I saw Brett. This was after mile 7.


That smile...just for Brett. I wasn't super happy to be running at that point.


This photo warmed my heart. Thanks to Brett for getting one of Ivan (my brother in law) and his son holding his hand as he ran to the finish :)


My mom met me about 1/2 mile from the finish. It was good to have someone to talk to as I finished.


My first Half Marathon finish. Not a great time...but hopefully with a different work schedule for my husband my results could be better if I choose to again.