Tuesday, July 22, 2014

Lots of Favorite Things

This has been a very full week for us. As well as a very tiring week too.

It's a good thing I take pictures. I would have forgotten part of the week if I hadn't. We met up with lots of cousins and grandma and went to see the birds at Tracy Aviary.


My side of the family has 11 grandkids 6 and under. This isn't all of them, but don't expect the group to all look at the camera :)


Striking a pose :)


Not a huge fan of the splash pad...her cousin just wanted someone her size to play with.

S and I spent some time together working in the garden this week. We are only outside in the morning or when we have enough shade in he evening....otherwise I feel like I might die.


our first cherry tomatoes


"helping" me with green beans


our first picking :)


The face of a sad, sad girl who's balloon got a hole.

The end of the week got busier. Brett got back into town late Thursday, and spent the evening at the church. I had started cooking earlier in the day, and did a bit more while he was gone. I was in charge of desserts for Brett's parents 70th birthday celebration (they are only 1 day apart). It was suggested to just buy 2 sheet cakes from Costco, but Brett's mom always makes everything for us so I thought it would be more meaningful for us to do the same...which I was completely happy to do. We planned on spending Friday baking everything for the party on Saturday. We got a phone call Friday morning from S's birth dad. He wanted to see her, and we feel that it's very important to keep that relationship open so we worked something out for that afternoon...while continuing to make desserts.

We met Tyson and his girlfriend at Thanksgiving Point to go to the Dinosaur Museum. It was my idea of the best way to interact and still have fun together. I am grateful I was able to get some good pictures of them together.


Building dinosaurs together.


Showing Tyson things from her level.


Having fun at the erosion table.


She LOVES fish!


Excavating for bones!

Saturday we did some more baking and getting ready for the party. It was a very full day. We went over to Nana and Papa's at 4:30 to help prep party stuff. We likely had close to 100 (if not, 100) people there. We had good visits with everyone as well as great food. Aubrey made a super cute background for a photobooth, and Mel had lots of fun props to use. I'll have to get copies from her. We left around 7:45...which was to far past Scarlett's bedtime. Brett went back later to help clean up :)


Banana Bars...if you haven't tried these, they are a must!


Nana's carrot cake....mmmmm


Left: Oatmeal crasin <- don't forget the "c", they're best that way! 
Right: Oh Henry Bars....delish!


Chocolate Revel bars. These were a special treat my mom would make when I was little. They're great...but you definitely need a glass of milk!


Texas Sheet Cake.

I won't tell how much butter I used this week....it was A LOT!