Monday, September 15, 2014

lots of fun with a little one

Last Sunday night for dinner I was at a loss. I really didn't know what to make and there wasn't much that sounded good to me! We ended up doing waffles with homemade jam and fresh berries from the backyard. S was in heaven.


 I love that Scarlett eats raspberries like most people eat olives.

Monday I did a lot of canning...dilly beans and bread & butter pickles on Monday I think. I canned so much some of it I can't remember what I did when. I needed a break from life and called my sister to see if she wanted to get together. We went to dinner together then out for frozen custard. The kids were all in heaven. S was thrilled to spend time with her cousins. They love her, and do crazy things to make her smile and laugh.






Kind of crazy story to go with that night... When we got there it was a fundraiser night for a local elementary school. It took FOR- EV- ER to get our order...and it was only frozen custard. One young girl (probably 10) was carrying an ice cream cone licking it and her fingers looking for a table number. My sister and  joked about it and that it was likely our order and then what do you say when she tries to give it to you?!? Well, her second time circling around she found our number and tried to hand it to me :) Seriously!?! There was an adult who was volunteering who passed our table about the same time. I quite plainly explained to her that the girl had been licking the cone and her fingers and I would not be eating it. The girl looked at us, pointed at the cone, and said, "But it's melting!?!" The adult assured me that they would replace it. Oh. My. Word! My sister and I laughed and laughed about this later. We talked about funny movies we had seen that things like that had happened in. We stood in the parking lot and laughed more. It was exactly the kind of evening we both needed!

S spent a lot of time with me in the kitchen this week. She had lots of fun with the magnetic letters on the fridge. One thing that really cracked me up was her bringing a pillow to the kitchen. She laid it on the floor by the sink, and pretended to sleep.




We had a little outing to Target one afternoon. After S's artistic creation on her sheets she needed a new one. I gave her two choices at Target and this is the one she chose. 


She kind of forgot about it after we got home. She found it on Thursday and brought it to me saying "please". She helped me take it out of the packaging. I put it on her mattress and she immediately tried climbing in, then looked at me and said, "Night, night." As soon as she got in her bed she started crawling around pointing to animals and making animal noises. I immediately thought I may have made a big mistake buying this sheet. Would she actually take a nap or go to sleep at bed time again? Thankfully she has, but every time we go in to get her up she has to show us the animals and tell us about them. Her favorite is a bee which she continually calls a fly.

In total last week I ended up canning pickles, beans, raspberry chipotle sauce, tomato sauce, peaches, and peach jam. It was very busy, but also very fulfilling.


To end the week we attended our ward campout. We had a few things to do to prepare for it. We had to borrow a tent because ours died this summer. We tried to order it through amazon but there ended up being a problem with billing and it couldn't get here in time. We also picked up a sleeping bag for the kiddo. She was pretty excited to help with it. 


S had the best time exploring outside with both of us. She picked any flower (aka weed) that she could find. If she could have picked up every rock she would have. She loved showing them to everyone too, and was so excited when she did it.




What kid doesn't love playing with sticks?! 


The campfire that that was too hot for her to want to be close to.