Sunday, October 12, 2014

Long Week

I volunteered this week to put together a memorial video for my grandfather's funeral. For people who haven't ever done these, they are way more work than you think. I started receiving photos on Sunday and it continued through Wednesday morning. It was more work than they normally are since some people sent a PDF file instead of a JPG, resulting in having to edit each photo they sent.

My brother was kind enough to offer to help me with things. We did some of it via "gotomeeting.com"...its nice to have a brother who is so good with technology. A good chunk of it we did together at his home. He has a Mac and a much better video program than I do so we did things at his place. I literally was there all day, but we got it done. Here is a link to it. I'm not sure how long it will be able to stay up on youtube, but its here for now.

I needed a break with things on Tuesday. I met up with a friend at the children's museum so our kids could play together. It was one of the best breaks to the week.





Thursday we had a private family viewing for grandpa before the public viewing later that evening. The mortuary had a special talk with the younger grandkids and great-grandkids. They opened the casket all the way so that the kids could see that all of grandpa was in the casket. They talked to them about the spirit and the body separating at death, and about the plan of salvation. It was nice to have time that was just for family.

Friday we attended grandpa's viewing and funeral. It was a really nice service. All of the grandkids sang at grandpa's funeral, and all of his kids spoke sharing a few memories. Singing at his funeral was one of the hardest things I have done. I had moments where I had to just pause so that I could continue singing. I miss him so much. There have been many tears this week. I have been SO blessed to know, love, and be loved by such a great man.


Leaving the church


Grandson pallbearers 


Military Honors




Our family after the services


My parents and siblings


Grandpa's final resting place


My mom and her siblings

Last but not least Saturday we were supposed to have family pictures taken. Brett and I got up about 6:30 and got ready. I went in to get S up and felt something wet in her hair. I asked Brett to turn on the hall light so we could see. She had thrown up during the night, and there was vomit everywhere. We put her in a bath right away, canceled pictures, and snuggled with her with a bowl for the next several hours. She threw up about 7 times. Thankfully after 12:30 she didn't have another problem. We are thinking she ate something bad at the luncheon the day before. I ate all the same things as she did. There was something somewhat sour that we ate. I didn't think much of it, but apparently she was small enough and ate so much that it really had an effect on her.