Sunday, June 28, 2015

Race Against Cancer

My sister sent a text out to all our family in February to see if they were interested in racing in the American Fork Half Marathon. I had some medical things going on and knew that I couldn't do the Half.As the time grew closer and I was better I contemplated the 5K they were doing as well. I decided to start training for it. If I'm being totally honest, I don't love running. I'm not fast at all. It's not my favorite thing. BUT, it was all for a worthy cause.

The American Fork Half Marathon and 5K donates all money to cancer patients for treatments. Last year I lost both of my grandfathers to cancer in a 10 week period of time. It was heartbreaking. One of those grandfathers shared a birthday with me...making things very real this week. It's the first time I haven't been able to call and wish him a happy birthday, share a cake, or blow out candles together. That man has always held a special place in my heart. 

I have run a fair amount of 5Ks, but this by far was the hardest. Since all monies went to benefit cancer patients both grandfathers as well as family members who are survivors were on my mind. I hear a small child running the race say, "Mom, is this really going to help grandpa?" I cried while I ran. There were signs in memory of cancer patients or by cancer survivors all along the way. I miss them so much, and am so grateful that this was one small thing I could do to help me remember.


our little fam post race


Ivan, couldn't run this year because of a recent injury


Joshua did the kids 1 mile fun run


This sign tugged at my heart...and made me cry again.


little buddies


mom, great supporter :)


me and cami pre-race


runner girl nails Cami did for me the night before