Friday, November 23, 2012

Thanks

I really try to be a grateful person. I feel like all too much there are children that are (or feel they are) entitled to certain things just because they are them. I want my children to realize the value of work, how to work for something, and that things aren't just handed out for free. I had a conversation with an 11 year old the other day and she was talking about going to sixth grade camp and taking her ipod (which is really an iphone 3 she inherited from her mom when her mom upgraded, there just isn't phone service on it). I told her that I had worked at camps and that things can get lost or stolen or broken and it likely wasn't a good idea. I was amazed when she looked at me and said, "It doesn't matter. It didn't cost anything." Which is when we had a little conversation about even though she didn't pay for it, someone did, and is wasn't free.

So, I am thankful for parents who taught me (and my husband, and his parents) to work. I earned money to buy things I wanted. I knew the value because I work for things.

I am so grateful for family. We will have around 60 people together today with my grandparents to have a family dinner together.

I am grateful for a great husband who works hard to provide for our family. He is such a great person and always has such a positive outlook on life.

I am grateful for good neighbors who look out for and care for each other.

I an grateful for Christmas time. I truly think it is "the most wonderful time of the year". I have been listening to Christmas music for a while now because it just makes me happy.

There are so many things in this life to be thankful for. I'm glad to be reminded at this time of the year what so many of them are!